Ben and I spent
Saturday afternoon working on my table since we finally decided how we wanted to fix it up.

We love the
worn look of this table but the top is
hardly appetizing. We talked about doing many different things but in the end decided to simply
strip the top of the table and leave the old charm of the rest.

BEFORE:
Supplies for paint stripping:
Paint stripper-I like the paste and I like the strong stuff-you know, the kind that says poisonous on the front. Thick,
chemical resistant gloves are a MUST. In fact, buy a couple pair because the first pair started to bubble and burn through even though they were supposed to be chemical resistant. Steel wool for rubbing the paste around. Masking tape for protecting anything you don't want to remove paint from.
Plastic Shovel-like scraper for scraping off paint. The citrus shield is to protect unfinished wood if you odn't plan on re-painting it.

Step 1:
Tape any edges you need to protect from the stripper.

Step2:
pour paste onto surface and
spread around with your scraper tool and steel wool and
wait a couple minutes. (working on smaller spaces keeps the paste from drying up to quickly if you are working in the sun. I would say 2x2 feet is a workable amount of space.)
Step 3: The paint will start to weaken and can then be
scraped off with scraper tool and also
rubbed off with the steel wool. (the scraper gets
most of the paint and the steel wool gets the
last of it as you rub. I also used the steel wool on the edges around the table)
Tip: Make sure to scrape and rub
with the grain. While you can't tell while you are working, you will once the wood is cleaned off.
Last step is to
sand the surface to refine the feel of the wood. You can do this by hand or mechanically! If you are not planning on re-painting the wood, rub on some finishing wax and you're good to go!

AFTER:

I love how clean and simple the table looks now. I'm so excited to put it in my apartment!

I think I will eventually make some
cushions for the chairs to add a little color and
personal style but until then, here it is!
Disclaimer: Make sure to be careful with the stripping chemicals! They are incredibly strong and can really burn you if you leave them on your skin for even a minute. Also, make sure you have proper ventilation or you'll probably pass out.
No comments:
Post a Comment