Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Reckless Abandon

I'd like to take you on a little journey of my last semester working at the upholstery shop: My final project. I found this baby for $20 on KSL. What a beauty. I think I was the only one who could see the vision at this point.
and I think it was a tad of my reckless abandon which made this project a happen.


I must have removed thousands of staples!
This is where I found out I would have to re-tie all of the springs. Curses.
ALL because of these little culprits and the rest of the broken strings. It had to be done!
Half way to perfection.
Love this fabric! Found it at discount place in Provo for $7.50/yard. It had to be cheap. I needed 12 yards! My fabric had a repeating pattern so I had to make sure it matched with itself throughout the project.
Final steps ahead! This is where I worked without food or drink until it was finished!
65 hours later. Would I do it again?
I think this recent purchase answers that question...

Upholstery Tips:
  • Start with something small like a bench or stool
  • It doesn't matter if you pull the fabric tight or really tight just make sure you are consistent.
  • Use the existing fabric as a pattern for the new fabric
  • Everything gets put back together in the opposite order of taking it apart (so pay attention to the order in which something deconstructs)
  • Pick furniture with good bones or it won't be worth your time OR money! It MUST be sturdy unless you want to re-build the entire thing.

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog. You seriously made me want to re-upholster a couch. And move out of Utah. :) You're really talented! I'm excited what else you've got in store.

    ReplyDelete